Friday, April 16, 2010

Ooh, Shiny!

First off, in case you hadn't noticed, I GOTS ME A NEW PAGE LAYOUT!!!

Ahem. Sorry 'bout that. I usually don't like to venture into all caps, or bad grammar, but this seemed to be an especially fitting occasion.

I happen to love this new format, though I'm still thinking about making a banner image. Yes, I think I will...in the near future. Muahahahaha!

Wow. Caps lock, bad grammar AND evil laughs. This sure is an interesting blog.

I'm still working on my last two book reviews. Heat Wave should be up shortly, perhaps over the weekend, and Fire will probably follow after that. I've also got a couple other blog ideas running around in my head, but those will have to wait.

This week was my sister's birthday. She turned the (not-so) big 17 on Tuesday, and as a present I went ahead and 'fixed up' one of her sketches for her.

I've Always Loved That Hat by NekoKyuuketsuiki13





-- As you can see, this image is an original. While the drawing is based off of an idea (and possibly a quote) from the new Alice in Wonderland movie, there is no direct still used for the image. She used images of the characters for reference, but that was all.

It's drawn with colored pencil in a sketchbook. The coloring and shading have been slightly white-washed because of the scanning process (the original sketchbook drawing is phenomenal) but the basic design still shows through with clarity.

I've Always Loved This Hat































This image, on the other hand, is a conglomeration of layers, textures, and tinting. Course, I don't think it's too bad for a load of stock textures and a free image-editing program (Paint.NET). It took approximately 12 hours to complete, and drew a lot of computing power (had to restart twice). And, to top it all off, I think she enjoyed it immensely.

And, I guess you could say I enjoyed it too, so it's really a win-win. Don't know that I'd want to do things like this as more than a hobby, but when the occasion calls for it, I like what I can do.

So, that's what I've been up to the past week or so. Hope your week has been as fruitful as mine.

Oh, another Happy Birthday to my sister, and many Very Merry Un-Birthdays to the rest of you!

~Vicki