Friday, October 15, 2010

100th Post & Book Blogger Hop (6)

~~~POST 100!!!~~~
I want to thank all of my followers:
Thanks for sticking with me
through good times and bad,
I couldn't have made it this far without you.

Book Blogger Hop

When you read a book that you just can't get into, do you stick it out and keep reading or move to your next title?

Wow, that's a great question, one that I haven't yet come up against as a reviewer.

In fact, the only reason I've 'given up' on books in the past was due to time constraints: the book was due back at the library or I had another requirement for school. Now that I'm running on my own schedule and truly reading for the fun of it... I don't know what I'd do.

However, here's what I think I'd do.

I give every book at least 50 pages to hook me.

After that...

If it's a book I own (either have bought myself, or won in a giveaway) and I can't get into it, I might put it down for a while. Maybe I'll pick it up again later, when I'm in a different mood. Maybe I'll try to power through it. Or, maybe I'll give up and give it away/sell it. It will probably depend on what 'the problem' is.

If I pick up a book from the library and just can't get into it, I'll probably return it without much guilt and simply not review it. I might revisit it if I have it recommended to me, or read a stellar review, but I'm not completely committed to completing or reviewing it.

If I was given a book specifically for review (from author, publisher, or an ARC) and I didn't like it, I think I'd push through anyway and finish it. The only reason I can see not finishing a book is if there's something in it that made me physically ill (detailed or extreme gore or sickness has made me nauseous in the past) and had nothing else that drew me in. I've never had an experience where I've hated a book, so I can't say how I'd react. But if it's a matter of boredom, not clicking, or slight discomfort with a book, I can and will most likely still finish it.

What about you?

Feel free to post a link to your own blog in the comments,
and be sure to check out other blog-hoppers at Crazy-for-Books' blog!