Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Had To Buy...But Never Read

Top Ten Tuesday
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

We all have them. That book that you needed to buy so badly and had every intention of reading it as soon as possible...but they're still on your bookshelf collecting dust or sitting in a pile on the floor.

Because I'm a collector of sorts, I seem to think it's necessary to own an entire series of unread books. So here are my Top Ten Series in order of how many unread books I own...

10. The Wicked Years by Gregory Maguire
2 Unread
To be fair, these books have a ton of hype surrounding them, and I still fully plan on reading them. I own both Wicked and Son of a Witch, but simply haven't had the gumption to crack them open. This feels like a good year... And then maybe I'll finally allow myself to watch the musical!

9. Alexander Cold Trilogy by Isabel Allende
3 Unread
Once again, I bought these with the best of intentions. I fell in love with Allende's The House of the Spirits when I was in high school, so when I found out she was writing a YA Fantasy series I had to have them! I've probably moved them around countless times...perhaps this year I'll finally move them to my bedside table.

8. The Raine Benares Series by Lisa Shearin
3 Unread
Okay, this time I have a very good reason for buying them... They were only $2 a piece! How could I possibly pass up such an offer?! I couldn't. And yet, I've told myself that I can't start reading them because they're not as old as the others. Fair's only fair, after all.

7. The Secret Texts Trilogy by Holly Lisle
3 Unread
These three have a bit of mileage on them. They traveled to college and back for a couple years. I've even picked up the first book a couple times with the thoughts of reading it. I might have even read a few pages. And then reality sets in and it goes right back on the shelf.

6. The Belgariad by David Eddings
4 Unread
Right, now we've gotten to the point where I've *gasp* actually started the series! I read Pawn of Prophesy way back in high school, and I remember it ends on kind of a cliffhanger. I also remember it reminded me A LOT of the Wheel of Time series... Don't know why the rest of the series is still sitting there, though.

5. The Shadow Saga by Orson Scott Card
4 Unread
This is a complicated one. I read Ender's Game and the following three books of Ender's Saga back in high school. But see, the series does a bit of a rewind and branches off into Bean's saga with a whole new quartet. Perhaps I'll read Ender's Game again to start off right...

4. Landover by Terry Brooks
5 Unread
I read Magic Kingdom For Sale Sold! from the library, loved it, went and bought the rest of the series. And copy/paste excuse here.

3. Lost Years of Merlin by T.A. Barron
5 Unread
This one...I think I got the first book for cheap from a used book store, then simply collected the rest over time. At least their colorful covers look pretty on my shelf.

2. Dragonriders of Pern by Anne McCaffrey
12 Unread
Wait! Before you say anything, just know that I HAVE read the Dragonflight trilogy and the Dragonsinger trilogy. That's 6 books. I just haven't read beyond that yet.

1. Xanth by Piers Anthony
23 Unread
Yeah...that's right...I have 23 unread books. Once again, I read the first six, then stopped. Well, that's not true. I started the 7th (Dragon on a Pedestal) three separate times, and still never got through it. I think it mostly had to do with not caring about the 2-year-old main character. Seriously? You want me to read about the explorations of a toddler? Ugh! Still, one of these days I'll make it through...


Well, there you have it. I have a grand total of 111 unread books sitting on my shelves (at last count) though I'm hoping the Off The Shelf challenge I entered this year will help reduce that number a bit.

So, what's your list?

8 comments :

  1. To Be Honest, Ive got like 20+ on my Bookshelf and about 550+ on my Kobo that are sitting Unread LOL.
    Old follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, consequently, this is why I rarely start trilogies or---whatever books of four or five or six are called! Well, 111, eh? That certainly makes my numbers look better. ;->

    Here is my Top Ten: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-books-i-just-had-to-buybut-are.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Irony of ironies, I try to do that with a series too, at least if I know it's a series. I bought the 7 books in the Acorna series and I've only touched the first 2.

    And oh, wow, the Xanth books bring back memories. A friend in high school did a book report...on all 23 books. Ambitious, yes? lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. 111? That's close to my 150+ You should definitely read Wicked and see the musical. There are differences, but both are amazing. I have Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men, but haven't read them yet. They are number 3 on my list this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woah, what a list! I like what you've done by doing series and listing the books so you've got way more than 10.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason I couldn't get into Wicked. I tried a few times (it was the only book I brought with me during a plane ride) but just didn't enjoy it.

    Jen at The Broke and the Bookish

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read a lot of the Xanth series when I was in high school in the 80s, so I can only imagine how many there are now...I must have read 8 or 10 of them. Also, the Dragonriders of Pern was a favorite of mine around the same time. Of course, I read them before the Dragonflight trilogy, because I read them in the order she published them. I wanted to badly to ride a dragon!

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!