Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Halloween Reads

Top Ten Tuesday
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week, in honor of the approaching holiday, we are tasked with presenting our Top Ten Books To Get In The Halloween Spirit. Now, I'm not really one for Horror, so my list is probably not going to be as scary or even as creepy as a lot of them. Still, here's what I'd read if I needed a little Halloween pick-me-up.


The Mayflower Project10. The Mayflower Project by K.A. Applegate

Not really Halloween-y in the normal sense, but the start to one of the creepiest series I've ever read. Following in the tracks of Animorphs and Everworld, this was a series that promised to push the boundaries of YA, and boy did it ever. If you want dark sci-fi with a side of teen adventure, check out these chilling tales.

Detention of the Living Dead


9. Detention of the Living Dead by Rusty Fischer

If you want your zombies with the same amount of gore, but still get that light-hearted vibe, definitely go with any of Rusty's stories. He has that perfect balance of gore and humor to give you thrills, chills, and still have you ready and rearing to go out at night.

Secret of the Old Clock8. The Secret of the Old Clock by Carolyn Keene

It's been quite some time since I've read the old Nancy Drew books, but when I think of full moons and creepy houses, I can't help but have the teenage sleuth come to mind. Definitely short on gore, but still a good ambiance for the season, no?
Vamplayers



7. Vamplayers by Rusty Fischer

He does much of the same with vampires as he does with zombies. Pack in a little more action and romance with this one, and maybe a little drama, but I still say you can't go wrong with one of Rusty's reads.


Frankenstein6. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

This is obviously one of the classics. Honestly, it didn't read all that scary for me, but I guess you could always pick up one of the movie adaptations instead.


Zombies Don't Cry



5. Zombies Don't Cry by Rusty Fischer

Okay, okay, my last Rusty Fischer book. If you want a lot more romance in your gore-fest, this is definitely the book to choose.

Alien Terror
4. Alien Terror by Chris Archer

Another non-Halloweeny pick here. Still, finding out you're an alien, and that other aliens want to kill and/or recruit you has got to serve for some chills, right?


Dracula


3. Dracula by Bram Stoker

Yet another classic, and deservedly so. This one definitely has the creep factor. Though not as straight-forward as some modern writing, as it's written as a compilation of journals and news articles, it still gets the job done for a Halloween story.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies2. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
by Jane Austen & Seth Grahame-Smith


More and more zombies. Like I said, I'm not really one for horror, but throw a little humor in there and I can usually make it through alright. This is definitely one of the goriest stories I've read, but in context it's pretty enjoyable to read. Perfect for getting into Halloween, if you don't mind all that romance in between.

One Day at Horrorland

1. Goosebumps One Day At Horrorland by R.L. Stine

This was the one and only book that has ever given me nightmares - and the main reason I didn't continue with the series. Though, actually, I remember it being 2nd in the series, not 20th... But regardless, if I had to pick the one book that scared me as a kid, this one tops the list.


Little Pet Shop of HorrorsHonorable Mentions:
Little Pet Shop of Horrors by Betsy Haynes
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Dawn of the Dreadfuls by Steve Hockensmith
Other Goosebumps & Bone Chillers





So, which books are on your Halloween list?
Do you prefer creeps and chills, or supernatural thrills?
Trick or Treat?
Let me hear you howl!

2 comments :

  1. What awesome picks!
    I will have to put some on my TBR Pile :-)
    Thanks for the great list!

    Cassie
    GreatMunchieReads

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never heard of Detention of the Living Dead by Rusty Fischer before. I must check that book out. I love zombie books.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!