Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Kickass Heroines

Top Ten Tuesday
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week seems to be a bit repetitive for me. I know I've listed my top ladies before, and a lot of these (okay, nearly all of them) have made past lists. However, ranking them in order of kickassiness is a new feat for me... I don't know that I've succeeded, but here's my best shot at quantifying some of my favorite kickass heroines.


10. Mercy Thompson ~ Mercy Thompson

She has her ups and downs, her strengths and weaknesses, but overall I think she has the head to keep herself out of danger, the heart to know when to ignore her head, and the guts to do what she has to.

9. Rachel ~ Animorphs

Some girls might have a hard time getting their hands dirty, but Rachel has no such qualms. When the safety of her friends or the human race is on the line, she is first to throw herself into the fray.

8. Lily Fielding ~ Vamplayers

A little girly at times, but this girl's got bite when she needs it.

7. Holly Short ~ Artemis Fowl

She may be small in size, but don't let your guard down on that account. Holly has risked life and limb on missions and time after time, so if you're looking for a tough gal on your team, don't overlook the fairy.

6. Lyra Belacqua/Silvertongue ~ His Dark Materials

Lyra may not be the most effective fighter, but that doesn't stop her. She may not know everything, may not be able to see the big picture, but just to go through what she had to and come out on the other side must mean something.

5. Sophie Mercer ~ Hex Hall

Less a fighter and more of a lover, but spunk and snark count a lot in my book, and this part-demon has got that in droves.

4. Fire ~ Seven Kingdoms Chronicles

So much I want to say, and so much I can't express. Hers is a complex tale, but never once did I want to turn away. A brave, noble, loyal, fierce, and kind lady to be sure.

3. Nita & Dairine Callahan ~ Young Wizards

A bit more relatable than some of the others here, these sisters are tied on my list. Imagine existing in our world, but being privy to the secrets of magic and the encroaching entropy enveloping our universe, then facing down that danger at every turn. Exhausting, yes, but these girls have shown time and again that they have what it takes.

2. Hermione Granger ~ Harry Potter

Not the title character, perhaps, but a vital role in the series nonetheless. I don't know how much I need to say about Hermione. What hasn't been said before? Intelligent, loyal, kind, and not too proud to admit when she needs help or was wrong. And she has a mean right hook.

1. Alanna of Trebond ~ The Song of the Lioness (and other Tortall books)

If I had to pick just one of Tamora Pierce's heroines, Alanna had to be it. The first and most memorable of the bunch (partly because of her recurring appearances), she is still my standard for kickass heroines. A fiery red-headed lady knight who doesn't hesitate to risk life and limb for her friends, country and King, and who had to fight tooth and nail to achieve her rank in the first place.



So, which ladies made your kickass list?
Do you prefer brains or brawn in your heroines?
Or is a mix your preference?
Let me hear you howl!

6 comments :

  1. You have Lyra as well! I haven't seen her on anyone else's list! :) I see a few familiar names, great list :D

    My TTT
    *GIVEAWAY*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophie! Yay! She's an awesome character/heroine.

    J'adore Happy Endings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeppp!!! Hermione! Great list! :D

    Here my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sophie! Yeah! And of course Hermione :) I also like Lyra and I really want to read Seven Kingdoms Chronicles.

    TTT @thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely forgot Lyra, curses! Haha, great list :D I loved including smart/magic-wielding characters in addition to actual butt-kicking girls :)

    Here's mine: TTT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fire AND Alanna! Very nice! I did a variation and went with Katsa and Beka Cooper. Still, I like your style.

    My TTT: http://shelversanon.blogspot.com/2012/10/top-10-tuesday-i-am-no-man.html

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!