Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Book-Inspired Movies

Top Ten Tuesday
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

Freebie week! And that means I get to branch off of books (slightly) and go into a sister subject, movies. Movies based on, adapted from, or inspired by books (and maybe one graphic novel). Keep in mind that this is my list, and by all means not encompassing every book-based movie out there, nor is it completely unbiased. This isn't a review, it's a list, so forgive me my crushes...

Haven't (Yet) Read the Book

Treasure Planet
Muppet Treasure Island5. Treasure Planet & Muppet Treasure Island
Robert Lewis Stevenson's Treasure Island


Had to go with a tie for this one. Treasure Planet has amazing artwork, music, and some of my favorite characterizations of the side characters, while MTI is just plain fun with our old muppet favorites and Tim Curry. Ah...Tim Curry...


The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen4. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Alan Moore's The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Graphic Novels


While only vaguely resembling Moore's original concept, and deemed by many to be a lazy script with even lazier acting, it happens to be one of my favorites. I'll admit I have a slight crush on Tony Curran's character, the re-imaginged Invisible Man, Rodney Skinner - Gentleman Thief, but regardless I find the whole premise and execution fun and inspiring. And much more lighthearted than the graphic novels.
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
3. Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Roald Dahl's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory


I don't find the Burton remake as horrible as some, but I still have to go with the original version as my favorite of the two adaptations. The whimsy, the music, the Wonka, it just comes down to a movie I can watch over and over again no matter what my mood.

How to Train Your Dragon
2. How to Train Your Dragon
Cressida Cowell's How to Train Your Dragon Books


This very well may be one of my favorite movies of all time. The voice-acting, the animation, the story, the dragons - everything about it is amazing. I'm now watching the TV-series on cartoon network, which is pretty good as well. At first I thought it would be the same story, different day type thing, but they're keeping things fresh and expanding more than I expected, which is a very nice surprise. Overall, I hope to see more from this series, and I'm very tempted to pick up the books, even though they're for a much younger audience.
The Lord of the Rings
1. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy
J.R.R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings Trilogy


I don't care how many Tolkien fans say they hate this and that about the series, these are still a great series of movies. I love watching them, then watching the extended editions, then the commentary, then all the behind the scenes extras, then running through the series again. I've actually done a back-to-back extended edition viewing once...and if that's not love, I don't know what is.

Read the Book
Dracula
5. Dracula
Bram Stoker's Dracula


The Francis Ford Copula version, accept no substitutes. Watched it as part of class in college, have loved it ever since. Romanticized, yes, but still a lovely dark gothic classic. And I don't care who you are, Gary Oldman rocked Dracula.
Holes

4. Holes
Louis Sachar's Holes


One of my favorites partly because it sticks so closely to the source - of course, Louis Sachar wrote the screenplay too, so that helped. Still, the tone, the acting, and the great way everything wound together both in the present and the past (without the 3 hours of Cloud Atlas) is storytelling perfection. Add in Henry Winkler, Sigourney Weaver, and Shia LaBeouf and you've got yourself a winner.

Dracula3. The Phantom Tollbooth
Norton Juster's The Phantom Tollbooth


A forgotten classic that I wish would resurface, and soon, The Phantom Tollbooth is my favorite Chuck Jones animation. A boy who just can't find anything to do is shown the magic and excitement of words, math, music, and the imagination. What better story to read and show to our kids than that?
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe


2. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
C.S. Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia


This was nearly at the top of my list for the sole reason of being more entertaining (to me) than the book. Taking the world of Narnia and presenting it in the majesty and splendor, bringing to life the magic and wonder, and all that creature work. It rivals even Lord of the Rings! The second movie did stray away from the original a little more, and I haven't even seen Dawn Treader yet, so I can't vouch for the series as a whole. Still, a great adaptation of a great book is really hard to come by, so I applaud this team for going to the effort.

Harry Potter1. Harry Potter Films
J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Series


While I can't say I find the series flawless, and in fact I haven't convinced myself to watch the 8th movie yet, I still have to rank Harry Potter as my favorite adaptation. The continued efforts of cast and crew to bring to life a literary phenomenon, as well as matching the tone and substance to the original material, and doing so for eight movies... How can I not rank them highest on my list?

Honorable Mentions:
Marry PoppinsElla EnchantedHaven't Read
Jurassic Park
Mary Poppins
A Muppet Christmas Carol
V for Vendetta
Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day
Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy (if comics count)
~
Have Read
The Neverending Story
Ella Enchanted
James and the Giant Peach
Timeline
Stardust
Eragon


So, which book-inspired movies are your faves?
Do you prefer loosely based adaptations or strictly canon versions?
Or would you rather Hollywood leave your treasured tales alone?
Let me hear you howl!

13 comments :

  1. Interesting list! Other than Harry potter - which I loved - I haven't read any of these books yet, but I have seen the movies :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this ever does become a TTT topic, I'll probably limit it to books I've actually read so that I can do a proper analysis on why I liked it as an adaptation. But it wasn't until I was making my list of Honorable Mentions that I realized I actually had 10 that I'd both seen and read. Ah well. Next time ;)

      Delete
  2. Great list! I read The Lord of the Rings after seeing the first movie and I loved them! You have to get through the first part, but then it's definitely better than the movies, more details.

    MY TTT Bookish Confessions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did read Fellowship and the first half of Two Towers way way back when. When the movies first came out I told myself I couldn't watch them until I'd read the books. But then so many people who had read (and loved) the books kept complaining about this and that, so I figured I'd better watch the movie(s) first. Now I almost think that's a better way of doing things so that I can enjoy the movie and the book.

      Delete
  3. I love your list. You have so many favorites of mine on it, so what's not to love <3

    TTT@thedailyprophecy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list & entertaining post!

    I don't mind if they change them, as long as they're good! For example, I read the book Ella Enchanted a while ago, and yeah, it's quite different, but I still love the movie :)

    And yeah, HP had some flaws, but still quite amazing & one of my top favs. Stardust is also one of my top favs!

    I actually think LoTR couldn't have been better, one of the best adaptations & I actually prefer the movies to the books. I also watched the extended editions once back to back, I'm never doing that again :D I was over-watched lol

    I didn't know about the tv series of How To Train Your Dragon, I'll have to check it out, because I loved the movie, and I'm hoping to try the series some time.

    I also love BBC's mini series adaptations of the classics like North & South, Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre, etc...

    Almost all of the movies you mentioned, I loved or at least enjoyed, so great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me for Ella. I was super excited when I first heard it was going to be adapted, and though it's not anything like the book, the movie was still extremely entertaining. And really, what more can you ask for a movie to be?

      LotR got a lot of flack from some of my friends for not including some of their favorite characters. Tom Bombadil got a lot of people mad. But yeah, I think that Jackson and crew got the essence and scope of the stories perfectly. Hobbit confuses me...because I have read it a couple times and have NO IDEA how they'll stretch it into THREE movies...but we'll see when it gets here.

      The only thing I'm slightly disappointed with the series about is Astrid. She still 'acts' tough, but whenever things go wrong she's been rewritten as the girl who yells "Hiccup!" and waits for him to save the day. It's not a huge thing, but I wish she'd get some of her movie-self back in the episodes. Oh, and the show's called Dragons: Riders of Berk, if you're having trouble finding it ;)

      Delete
  5. Great choices! I don't even know where to start! Love Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter....I could keep going.

    Check out my TTT.

    Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!
    I haven't read How to Train Your Dragon, but adored the movie.
    And I read and loved Holes, but haven't seen the movie - I'll have to correct that asap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a Shia fan, so I really loved the movie. My sister isn't, so she only somewhat tolerates it. If you're a fan of the book, though, I think you'll be set. And if you get a copy of the DVD/BluRay, be sure to listen to the cast commentary if you have time. The D-Tent boys are hilarious XD

      Delete
  7. Good list! LOVED Ella Enchanted. You really have to read that one :)

    My TTT: http://blueskyshelf.blogspot.com/2012/11/top-ten-tuesday-fictional-crushes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I have read that one. I'll have to edit my post to clarify my Honorable Mentions. The first half I haven't read, the second half I have. And yes, Ella Enchanted is one of my all-time faves. I've been meaning to check out Levine's other rewritten fairy tales as well...

      Delete

Let me hear you howl!