Wednesday, January 1, 2014

A Few New Challenges 2014

2014 Reading Challenge
Hosted by GoodReads

Goal: 50 Books

A yearly challenge for me, and one fairly easy to keep track of. GoodReads does all the work for me. Still, I'm looking forward to reaching my overall goal of 50 different titles (instead of counting repeats for audiobooks) in 2014.

Outdo Yourself Reading Challenge 2014
Hosted by The Book Vixen
Outdo Yourself Challenge

Goal: Out of Breath level of reading 6-10 more books this year than I read last year (40)

I'm still aiming to reach my overall goal of 50, so this list will most likely mirror (or combine with) the list above. Still, if I can work toward challenges simultaneously, why not?


Audiobook Challenge
Hosted by The Book Nympho & Hot Listens
Audiobook Challenge 2
Hosted by Teresa's Reading Corner















Goals:
My Precious level of listening to 30+ Audios
&
Married level of listening to 25+ audios

Audiobooks are a huge help to me in my reading. Sometimes a book just doesn't catch my full attention, or I'm simply not in the right mood, so my attention wanders and I end up reading the same passage 10 times. Having a voice whispering in my ear not only helps keep me on track, but can also aid in pronunciations, mood, accents, and even getting in the right mindset for foreign books. It's an experience all its own, and a fairly easy challenge to complete for me. I just hope I can find enough audios this year!

Gentle Spectrums Reading Challenge 2014
Hosted by RIEDEL FASCINATION
Gentle Spectrums Challenge

Goal: Read 10 books titled with colors this year.

Not too difficult a prospect; I've already got Blood Red Road, Green Rider, and Red Hot Fury sitting on my shelf. But I figured it'd be another fairly short and simple challenge that might add some color to the list.

Jumble Your Genres Reading Challenge 2014
Hosted by Readers Live A Thousand Lives, Corrie The Book Crazed Girl, and Lovin' Los Libros
Jumble Your Genres Challenge

Goal: Read a book a month in each of the following 12 categories

January: Young Adult
February: Contemporary
March: Urban Fantasy
April: Middle Grade
May: Dystopian
June: High Fantasy
July: Adult
August: Paranormal
September: Romance
October: Sci-Fi
November: Historical Fiction
December: New Adult

Though not really that far out of my spectrum of normalcy, I still think it should prove a good opportunity to try some rarely touched genres of mine (such as Contemporary or strictly 'Adult'). And spreading these out through the year may help stave off my dreaded December panic.

Lucky No. 14 Reading Challenge 2014
Hosted by Books To Share
Lucky No. 14 Challenge

Goal: Read a book in each of the following 14 categories

1. Visit The Country:
2. Cover Lust:
3. Blame it on Bloggers:
4. Bargain All The Way:
5. (Not So) Fresh From the Oven:
6. First Letter’s Rule:
7. Once Upon a Time:
8. Chunky Brick:
9. Favorite Author:
10. It’s Been There Forever:
11. Movies vs Books:
12. Freebies Time:
13. Not My Cup of Tea:
14. Walking Down The Memory Lane:

Some interesting themes here, which should prove entertaining. I'm especially curious to find some great V books I can test out, and finally tackle one or two of my freebies!

Monthly Key Word Reading Challenge 2014
Hosted by Bookmark To Blog
Monthly Key Word Challenge

Goal: Read at least 1 book containing a specified key-word each month

January: Angel, Secret, Clock, Black, Day, Wild
February: Her, Life, Night, Red, Dark, Island
March: Forever, Inside, Storm, Sky, Flower, Stay
April: Star, Light, Never, Princess, Break, Clear
May: Dawn, Death, End, Lost, Beautiful, And
June: Color, Beyond, Found, Place, Grave, Road
July: Crash, Ship, Prince, Whisper, Sun, Of
August: Forgotten, Down, True, Run, Danger, Me
September: Number, Take, Shadow, Ice, Who, After
October: Ocean, Blood, Still, Out, The, Fate
November: Into, Sound, Blue, House, My, Last
December: Kiss, Fire, Ruin, White, Promise, Infinity

Key-words are a favorite of mine. When trying to start up a book club, I often asked for suggestions based around a key word (book titles containing a color, books involving time, etc.). I thought it made it more likely to get some variety. Now I'll be the one enjoying the hunt for specific words and hopefully, once again, negating the last-minute December rush.

Rewind Reading Challenge 2014
Hosted by Coffee Bean Bookshelf
Rewind Challenge

Goal: Read 15 books released prior to 2014


Seriously Series Reading Challenge 2014
Hosted by Reading The Paranormal
Seriously Series

Goal: Semi-Serious level of completing 1-6 series

Don't know how successful I'll be with this one, but I figure if I can tackle at least one series and get it off my Dusty Shelf, then it at least should count for something, right?

What’s In A Name? Reading Challenge 2014
Hosted by The Worm Hole
What’s In A Name? Challenge

Goal: Read a book in each of the following 5 categories

1. A reference to time:
2. A position of royalty:
3. A number written in letters:
4. A forename or names:
5. A type or element of weather:

Another attempt at variety and a short challenge to boot. What else can you really ask for?

Women Authors Challenge 2014
Hosted by Peek-A-Book!
Women Authors Challenge

Goal: Wonder Woman level of reading 16+ different women authors

After putting this challenge to bed last year, I'm ready for another go at finding, reading, and promoting some awesome female authors. Girl power, am I right?

So, how'd I do? Too many, or just right?
Any other challenges you'd recommend?
Wish me luck, and here's looking forward to a brand new year!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!