Monday, June 17, 2019

Ignite, My Love. Ignite.

SPOILER ALERT
This review is for those who have read or are familiar with the previous books, Shatter Me, Destroy Me, Unravel Me, and Fracture Me or don't mind knowing major spoilers for them.
SPOILER ALERT
Ignite Me
~Ignite Me~
Shatter Me
Book 3

By Tahereh Mafi
Amazon ~ Powell's

With Omega Point destroyed, Juliette doesn’t know if the rebels, her friends, or even Adam are alive. But that won’t keep her from trying to take down The Reestablishment once and for all. Now she must rely on Warner, the handsome commander of Sector 45. The one person she never thought she could trust. The same person who saved her life. He promises to help Juliette master her powers and save their dying world . . . but that’s not all he wants with her.


I could not put this book down. No, seriously, on my first read-through I managed to read the entire book on a work day. It was amazing.

Okay, I'll start with this: get ready for a lot of feelings. If you weren't thrilled with the Adam vs Warner romance storyline, get ready for a bit of a slog. I didn't mind it, though that might be because I jumped to Warner's team back in Destroy Me, and here we finally have him revealing all his hidden good-guy-ness to Juliette. Yeah, the first few chapters are a bit slow, with a lot of talking and crying and shock, but it's all worth it for the payoff.

Juliette herself finally seems less broken. I began hypothesizing in the last book that Juliette wasn't receiving the treatment she needed because the super-healer twins couldn't touch her. They kept making a big deal about healing both body and mind, and how both were essential to truly recovering. Here it is all but confirmed that I was right. After Warner channeled the twins' healing to bring Juliette back from her bullet wound, she no longer has strike-through thoughts, she almost never does the three-peet repetitions, and though she suffers a few moments of shock, she's not completely paralyzed.

Which means Juliette is finally a force in the world, not just in her own mind. The girl kicks some ass in this book. Don't get me wrong, she's still the super sensitive girl we know and love, but she's finally taking some initiative. I mean, I don't always need my heroines to kick ass, but I do really like it when they can and do.

Besides Juliette growing a backbone, I was also constantly smiling over Juliette's interactions with Kenji. Kenji has quickly grown into my all-time favorite character. Not only does he have a great heart-to-heart where he redeems himself over guilt-tripping her in the last book, but he and Juliette have a great chemistry in their dialog and jokes. I even found myself smirking at work after a couple scenes.

Adam was a different story entirely. You see the cracks starting to form in the last book, but now the floodgates are open and he is not holding back. It's almost as if Warner and Adam switched places, with Warner going from detestable to lovable and Adam going from lovable to detestable. It's hard to picture it from reading the first book, but I think it builds organically and shows a good moral about love in general. You can fall in and out of love with people, and you should definitely wait past the honeymoon period before committing to anything long-term.

Overall, as the end to a trilogy, this book was all I could ask for. Action, laughs, tears, kissing, and hope all rolled into one. I think my only complaint was how quickly it seemed to end, but that might have just been me wanting the middle of the book to last longer.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!