Thursday, December 12, 2019

I Think My Feelings Are Warranted

SPOILER ALERT
This review is for those who have read or are familiar with the previous books in the Shatter Me series, or don't mind knowing major spoilers for them.
SPOILER ALERT
Defy Me
~Reveal Me~
Shatter Me
Book 5.5

By Tahereh Mafi
Amazon ~ Powell's

This fourth companion novella to Tahereh Mafi’s New York Times bestselling Shatter Me series is narrated by fan favorite character Kenji Kishimoto!

The explosive revelations in Defy Me have left readers reeling and desperate for answers. This fourth and final novella in the series will bring readers back to the world of the Shatter Me before the final novel installment hits shelves in winter 2020.


Another fun(?) romp with Kenji. While the events of these novellas could easily encompass a chapter or two in the main stories, I've loved getting to know Kenji more intimately. Picking up exactly where we left off, Kenji is carrying the weight of the world on his shoulders. We knew he did that to some extent, but it's different when we're directly in his head. I legitimately felt bad for him during his anxiety attacks.

His super weird romance with Nazeera was also super sweet. Even if they're going through kind of a rough patch in this story. You don't really think about how someone's upbringing could shape them until it's thrown in your face, and then it's all you can think about. I really do love how the author shows kids being kids, drama and all, even in the middle of a war. It's one of the reasons I vastly prefer Shatter Me to The Hunger Games.

I'll definitely be reading this again in my lead-up to the final(?) book of the series coming next year. I just hope we finally stop with the heart-wrenching, mind-bending cliffhangers!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!