Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I've Been to New York...?

Firstly, my mom likes to hoard my mail. I don't know why she can't just give it to me, but it somehow ends up in her room and I don't see it for years.

Case in point, I didn't receive my acceptance letter to Eastern Washington University until just before I left for Linfield College.

Well, last week, she found another piece of mail for me. Check out this postmark date:

 Yeah, that's right, April 06, 2009. Nice job, Mom. Course, that means I was still at college, so I don't know why it was coming to my house...but still.

The fun doesn't end there. I'm not quire sure why, but apparently I was sent a card from:
I'm not even sure I received any information from them when I was applying to colleges.

But now it gets really weird...
Dear Victoria,
I'm so happy you decided to join us last weekend for scholar's weekend. I hope you had a good time. It was a pleasure meeting you during our walking tour of the lower East Side. I'm sure you are receiving many offers, but I hope you decide to join us this fall and be an MLK Scholar.
Hope to see you again,
Christina
On the left side of the card was this picture:

As you can probably see, I am not in this picture (though, you can click to see it larger). I was at school all through March and April of last year. In fact, I have never been to New York State, let alone New York City.

Wait a moment...is that me?

No, no I don't think so. The hair might be similar, but I'm still pretty sure I wouldn't go to NYC for an MLK Scholar's weekend. Yet, they sent me a card (with my name and address).

Now, this leaves me one of three options...

  1. I have an evil twin.
  2. Someone I know decided to go on this trip and give them my information instead of their own.
  3. Another 'Victoria S.' attended this MLK Scholarship weekend, and didn't give any of her own information. So, when trying to contact her, the school Googled her, or Facebooked her or whatever, found me, and inserted my address.
I think I can rule out #1 if only because our house isn't big enough for me not to notice another me running around.

#2 could be plausible...except that I can't recognize anyone in the photo. So, either it is that girl above trying to play a prank on me, or she had to take a potty break and wasn't in the picture, or was the one TAKING the picture!

...Or it could just be #3. Which I find pretty funny anyway.

 So, now I'm thinking about contacting the admissions office and having some fun... So, if you were in my situation, what would you do?

Or, if you're the one who posed as me...let me know and I will be happy to sue you for identity theft.

That is all. ^_^

2 comments :

  1. You could:

    a) Send a reply telling them that you enjoyed it but were unable to attend last fall, but would love to do so this fall. [and send an NYU application just 'cause you can]

    b) Tell them that even though you were invited, you didn't go - someone's stolen your identity! [this may lead to annoying paperwork]

    c)It was ME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't that funny? I had something happen when applying to grad school for psych years ago. I got an alternate spot in the phd program at University A and they decided not to go to their alternates, but I was reviewed by a separate committee for scholarships and offered a scholarship! I had to call and tell them I was turning down the scholarship because I hadn't been admitted to the University. Doh!

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!