Sunday, December 26, 2010

Am I A Bad Person?

The other day, as I was perusing my regular list of blogs, I came across one that made me take a step back.

On Rachelle Gardner's blog, she posted a plea made by guest blogger, Marcus Brotherton. A hardcover a month, that’s all we ask. Essentially, he's asking for writers, readers, anyone interested in books or the publishing industry at all, to help the industry and spend $20 a month on books.


At first glance, I was completely on board. Sure! Anything I can do to help! We writerly people have got to stick together!

But then, I realized that I regularly go months without buying books. The majority of my reading comes from the library, where I can get just about any book if I'm willing to wait a couple weeks/months (depending on popularity and supply).

As much as I love books, that $20 a month is a problem for me. Being unemployed is a matter of making sure you get what you need. I've gotten to the point now that I have to double and triple-check every book I pick up to see if I'm really interested in it, or if I can live with checking the library.


And even the books I do talk myself into buying are usually pre-owned or discounted with coupons. A majority come from Goodwill or Used Bookstores, such that I'm not even sure their sales would make a difference in the publishing industry.

So, I'm asking...does this make me a bad person? What do you think about utilizing the free (or cheaper) resources versus helping the industry?

10 comments :

  1. Hmm, this is an interesting consideration you bring up. I can practically count the number of books I've actually bought on one hand, with the library being my main source.

    But I think there's an upside to being able to have access to so many books for free; it's usually how I "discover" new authors, or even try books that I wouldn't even consider buying. And then I end up falling unexpectedly in love with said book and actually buy the author's other books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sometimes feel guilty that I can't buy more hardcover books, but I'm a poor grad student who only has a part-time job until I finish library school this spring, and I'm on a tight budget. I'm also pretty picky about which books I want to own since I live in a small apartment and don't have the storage space.

    Think of it this way - all your library use is helping the library in a difficult economy. Many library budgets are being cut dramatically. Libraries track circulation numbers, and many collection decisions are made based on these numbers. If a book gets checked out a lot, they may buy extra copies of that book, thus helping the author in the end. So don't feel too guilty! You can only do what your budget allows you too, and checking out library books helps the library and indirectly the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Also, keep in mind that when you write reviews of books you borrowed or bought at a used bookstore, it may inspire one of your blog readers to go buy the hardcover book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an interesting topic! Most of the books I read come from my school library because as a teenager, I don't have money to spend of my own on books. A couple of years ago, I used to get nearly all of my books from a local second hand bookshop as I read Enid Blytons. At Christmas and my Birthday I tend to get a lot of new books my parents have brought, which helps the industry.
    I definitely agree with Super's second comment, book blogging has an effect on the industry. I think that whilst book lovers should try and support the industry, money doesn't always make that possible and we shouldn't feel too guilty about it. There are other ways to contribute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got to have priorities. If you're unemployed and on a tight budget, then take care of your necessities first.

    And while piracy is a problem, the public library is NOT the author's enemy. People look at the library and think "One sale, many eyes, there's no difference." There's a huge difference. The library is a cheap and effective way to both increase the author's readership and cachet. If publishers didn't think so, they wouldn't offer books to them.

    -LupLun
    Lupines and Lunatics

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't even buy paperbacks because of space issues and hardcovers are totally out of the picture. Than there is the money issue; I can't spend 20 a month on books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I probably spend my share and your share in books (brand new) every month so you have nothing to fear! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really tricky subject. I want to support other writers. But my funds too are sadly limited. So I do spend more money than I ought to on books, but don't buy as many as I would like either. So I'd say do what you can when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your comments! Your votes of confidence mean a lot to me. I never thought about how blogging shows support to the industry. It's a great thing to keep in mind. Thanks again!

    ~Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read that post too and thought it was an awesome idea, but my husband has been out of work for over a year, only doing odd jobs, so I've been a big fan of the library too. But once we are on our feet again, I do plan to buy more books (esp from fellow bloggers) then do giveaways on my blog to "spread the love"

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!