Friday, January 14, 2011

Book Blogger Hop (8)

Book Blogger Hop

Why do you read the genre that you do?
What draws you to it?


I read mainly Fantasy. This then trickles down into the subgenres of Urban Fantasy, Paranormal (Romance), Supernatural, Fairytales, etc.
I also enjoy reading a lot of Fantasy directed at YA.

Now for the big question...
Why?

For me, reading means escape. It means taking a step out of my boring/depressing/stagnant life and jumping into someone else's for a while. While it's nice to have some similarities between characters and myself, I want something new, exotic, fantastical. I don't want to be reminded of normal life, I want to be whisked away and not think about it.

High Fantasy takes me away to a world where anything is possible. In worlds where magic is in charge, everyone seems to have more of a fighting chance. Sure, there's sometimes some tricky vocabulary to tackle, but once that's done it's easy to forget everything and become lost in the pages.

Urban Fantasy/Paranormal/Supernatural books tend to be rooted in our world, but contain fantasy elements. I love werewolves, vampires, wizards, witches, demons, angels, superheros, villains, and the like because they take a small part of what I'm familiar with, but have so many more possibilities. When I'm reading these, it's hard not to glance around for traces of magic lurking just out of vision.

Young Adult fiction reaches me because in many cases I'm still young and inexperienced. Though I'm 5-8 years older than a lot of the characters, I still feel I can relate to their problems, their questions, their pain. And in that way, I'm with them through their triumphs, too.

So to me, reading is an escape.
It's exciting, it's eventful, it's not anything I'll ever experience.
Except through a book.

What about you? What do you read, and why?

Feel free to post a link to your own blog in the comments,
and be sure to check out other blog-hoppers at Crazy-for-Books' blog!

14 comments :

  1. Hello
    I came by your blog on the blog hop list and decided to click on the link. I really like your blog so new follower here! Hope you'll follow back my blog is:

    http://mybookaddiction.blogspot.com/

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello and Happy Friday! I feel the same way you do about reading. It is an escape from my overloaded stressful life. For me reading a book just gives me a few minutes of peace. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly! I couldn't agree more:) I definitely don't want to be reminded of the real world, I want to get caught up in some paranormal craziness that takes my mind off life for a while. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you everyone says reading is an escape. It's so true though! I love fantasy etc for all the same reasons as you do, though you put it so much better than I did! I'll be looking forward to your reviews =)

    ~Anne (creativityscorner.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping through on the Blog Hop. New follower! I love your answer! So very true! Especially the part about not wanting to be reminded of real life, using a good book to forget about the drama and the stress of it all! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel like my reasons for reading have changed. While I still love reading YA and Fantasy (for much of the same reasons as you); I want to be reminded of the world. I want to read something more thought-provoking; I think it's because I've grown into someone who really wants to do something and, well, the books are ideas. Or something.

    But I always want that break - and that's when I read why/what you do. (to an extent).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good choice! Fantasy's a joy to read for sure, because it gives us a jolt of fun and endless possiblities. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read more than one genre. But there are a few genres I don't read. Come see what I do and don't read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, old follower. You have a new blog design, I think. Great blue!
    I have a US/Canada contest with Laura Anne Gilman all weekend:
    Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust
    email: steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com
    twitter: @fangswandsfairy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats! I've just given you an award! =) Check it out here - http://literaryrr.blogspot.com/2011/01/oh-my-my-very-first-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree. I read a ton of paranormal/fantasy/scifi - mostly YA. Reading is definitely an escape and I don't want anything too real. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Couldn't agree more!!! I read for escape, to get away from the world I have to experience every day. It's another reason I prefer books with some sort of happiness in it. Currently though, I'm addicted to Dark Fantasy. It's so twisted at times, I love it. Soon enough I'm sure, I'll be onto another sub genre of fantasy, but all around it's still my favorite! I'm an old follower dropping in.

    Jen
    In the Closet With a Bibliophile

    ReplyDelete
  13. New follower! Stop by and say hi if you get a chance! I'm giving away a signed copy of Break of Dawn(Vampire Babylon) by Chris Marie Green!
    Kristin
    MyBookishWays

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    Stopping by for the blog hop.
    And to let you know I am a new follower!
    Love your blog!

    Kyanara
    http://lacedlittlemuffin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!