Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Books I'd Like Made Into Movies

Top Ten Tuesday
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

Ever read something that you just wish you could see? (I actually feel that way with most manga.) Well, this week we're listing our Top Ten picks for movies we want Hollywood to tackle.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies10. Seth Grahame-Smith & Jane Austen's
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies

I've heard this one's already been picked up by somebody, but I'm still waiting to hear anything definite. I'm not really a horror movie person, so I'm banking on more comedy than gore coming out of this.


The Neverending Story9. Michael Ende's The Neverending Story
Okay, so this one already has a movie. And don't get me wrong, I love the movie(s), but I think it'd be neat to see what modern special effects might be able to do. Or heck, what about computer animation? Or what if Burton got his hands on this? If they're gonna reboot a movie, you might as well try something you could actually improve upon. Leave poor Willy Wonka alone.

Ender's Game8. Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game
This is another one that was supposedly in the mix. In fact, my scripts class in high school picked up the book just because the movie was in the works. And yet I haven't heard anything since! What happened? We've seen kids killing each other in The Hunger Games, why not battling in zero gravity? Come on Hollywood, make it happen!

His Dark Materials7. Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy
They tried to make this one, and apparently failed. I know I've seen it (I might even own it), but I honestly can't remember much about it. Oh, other than the polar bear's jaw flying off. Really? Come on, refocus on what's already there and let's get these babies made right! Please?


Hex Hall6. Rachel Hawkins' Hex Hall Trilogy
I don't know why this is on my list - the books are already amazing, and I don't know that anyone can truly match the awesomeness that is Sophie Mercer...but if it could be done and done well, I think this series would be pretty fun to experiment with.


Dealing With Dragons5. Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles
This one would probably be better off as an animated film. Computer or traditional, I don't care. But please don't throw in CGI dragons with real actors. It didn't work in Eragon (though I actually liked the movie), it won't work here. But this series has awesome characters and (gasp!) great female role models. Kids getting something not mind-numbing and with awesome characters? Sorry, my mistake.

4. Kristin Cashore's Fire or Graceling
FireGraceling
Though I favor Fire as a character and a story, I'm a little more apprehensive about seeing it on the big screen. Knowing Hollywood, they'll focus on the big-budget battle scenes at the expense of the beautiful Monsters. Graceling doesn't have a huge war going on, but where a book can capture invisible gifts, it might not translate to screen as well. Still, if they could be done well, I'd love to see what's possible with these.

Artemis Fowl3. Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl Series
Artemis Fowl is another awesome kids series that really should be tried for movies. Again, I'm kinda leaning towards animated just because I don't think it could get a LotR type budget for makeup, and I DON'T want to see a CGI Holly. Heck, it's published by Disney's Hyperion, just give it a Narnia budget and I'd be happy.

So You Want To Be A Wizard2. Diane Duane's Young Wizards Books
I don't think this series will ever get its true due, but it's always fun to dream. The characters are great, the magic is well-imagined, and the worlds are spectacular. Unfortunately, so much of the magic of this series lies in its subtlety. They don't cast huge, flashy spells because they're trying to work under the radar in the real world. They don't have a huge school to go away to, all they have is their own backyards (or alternate universes they accidentally fall into). If I ever do hear anything about this, you can bet I'll be first in line for tickets.

1. Any & All Tamora Pierce Series
Alanna: The First AdventureWild MagicFirst TestTrickster's ChoiceTerrierSandry's Book
Would you expect anything else from me?

Again, I attribute this mostly to budgets and popularity. For the medieval costumes, sets, training and any special effects they'd need, it'd be too much of a gamble for the (comparatively) small fan-base these books have. But dang it! I want to see Alanna! And really, they could choose any of the Tortall series to start with (...except maybe Aly's) and build forward or backward later.

With Emelan, they're kind of stuck with Sandry's book as the starting point. They could possibly combine books 1 & 2 together, then having a movie each for books 3 and 4. It's tricky to figure out, but I still think it's doable.

ParanormalcyHonorable Mentions:
Kiersten White's Paranormalcy (pictured left)
K.A. Applegate's Everworld Series
Brian Jacques's Redwall Books
Julie Kagawa's Blood of Eden Trilogy
Patricia Briggs's Mercy Thompson Series
Andrea Cremer's Nightshade Trilogy

Will you pick your favorites, hoping for the best?
Or has Hollywood already massacred enough literature?
Which movies are on your list? Let me hear you howl!

7 comments :

  1. I've seen Hex Hall around tonight a lot! I really need to get to reading that. Great post, and I am a new follower as well! :)

    I would love it if you could check out my TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ender's Game is in pre-production now...or filming? I know Harrison Ford was cast but that was the last thing I heard. I still need to read it! Anyway, fantastic choices! I would love to see Graceling and Fire as movies!
    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would offer up my firstborn for an Everworld anything. DOWANTDOWANTDOWANT. Unfortunately, it seems like the publishing world has forgotten her.

    Ugh, Nightshade series. I was trying to forget that existed :/ That last thing I'd want is to see is the obnoxious publicity machine to turn its focus on Ren-Shay-Calla. Twitter was bad enough x.x

    The Golden Compass movie was kinda shit. Sure, the polar bears were bitching, and I don't think they could have cast anyone more perfect for Azreal and Coulter than Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman, but they basically gutted the message of the book to make it kid-friendly and inoffensive to the churchgoers, so yeah. I doubt we'll ever see a truly faithful adaptation of that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be honest, I haven't read the Nightshade books yet. But I will eventually, and I'm a sucker for werewolves. Main reason it didn't make my actual list (other than not reading them) is because I have yet to be pleased/impressed by movie werewolves. About the closest I've come was Van Helsing, and that one wasn't that great either. So while I'd love to see a great werewolf on the screen, I have a hard time getting my hopes up.

      Based solely on the fact that I can't remember any of The Golden Compass (again, other than the bears), I'd have to agree with you. They neutered the book so much that it's no wonder it flopped - there wasn't anything there anymore!

      I wonder if we need to give up on the silver screen and turn to Showtime or HBO to turn our beloved stories into series or mini-series. Game of Thrones seems to be doing well, as well as The Walking Dead and TrueBlood. Maybe we should toss them Search for Senna and co. and see what happens?

      Delete
    2. Darn, I was hoping you had, Nightshade is one of those I love to discuss. And bitch about. But yeah, I'm more the "shift to actual wolf" type. Not a fan of man-beasts, just because then end up looking so...derp. But even the shift-to-wolf can end up looking dumb on TV (for example, True Blood x.x). It would be nice to see a decent werewolf story, but God oh God, not Nightshade. I think I'd even prefer to see a Mercy movie before a Nightsahde. (While we're on the subject, Sam's new girlfriend on TrueBlood? Perfect Mercy.)

      Yeah, it just wasn't a very good adaptation. It's a children's story, but by society's current standards, it's really not, given the subtext, so in the end it's almost impossible to find it a mainstream audience. Sad :(

      We should do that right now. Although, HBO is sort of adult-media-centered, and the Senna books are most definitely teenage stuff. SIGH.

      Delete
  4. I picked Neverending Story for a do-over too! It was okay the first time around... but it *was* the 80's after all. Golden Compass deserves a real movie, the one they did was absolutely craptastic as if they couldn't be bothered to do a kids film right. And I agree that any Tamora Pierce book would make a great movie. I mostly didn't put them on my list because I couldn't decide which I'd pick. Your solution is better :)

    So basically, I agree with you on everything lol :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I love the colour scheme of your blog -- I'm a new follower!

    I totally agree with you that Neverending Story could use a remake with modern special effects. That is one of my ALL TIME favourite books -- can you just imagine how unbelievable the luckdragon could be with CGI?!?

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!