Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Non-Bookish Sites

Top Ten Tuesday
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

So I tend to focus on mainly bookish things here. Even my last post, which was art related, stemmed from Harry Potter. But what kinds of sites do I read that aren't book related? Here's my top ten:

10. Pottermore
Sorta cheating here, but I do enjoy the games/activities on Pottermore. Sure, it's a site based around a book, but it's not just about reading, right?

9. Etsy
Partly business, and partly just browsing. Perusing the site for the latest and greatest handmade goodies is just so much fun! Seeing the prices on said goodies...well, not so much. When I win the lottery...

8. The Daily Show
This one I mostly go in spurts. I see a little on TV and then go watch 5 episodes (or extended interviews) straight. Jon Stewart is awesome.

7. Hellfire Commentaries
That's right - I have a video game addiction. But I'm lousy at playing games, so I settle for watching other people play them instead. It keeps me up-to-date on pop culture, while entertaining me with the commentators' witty rapport. And gotta love NTom's British accent.

6. That Guy With the Glasses
A fairly recent find, but I absolutely love watching CR, The Nostalgia Critic or Nostalgia Chick rip into my childhood favorites. Whether it be Disney, TV shows of olde or not so olde, these guys are masters of hilarity. I find myself cracking up even while they're bashing movies I absolutely loved.

5. XKCD
A comic that may not look pretty, but consistently delivers great punchlines, touching moments, or witty insights.

4. ...With Sprinkles
A web-comic/blog created by one of my college friends. I always look forward to Mondays knowing I'll get a good laugh - even if it does usually come from her misfortune. ...Does that make me a bad person?

3. TV Line
I wouldn't say I'm an American Idol addict...but I love reading/watching Michael Slezak's recaps, insights, interviews and predictions each season. And when he's not reporting, I sometimes look for the latest spoilers for my fave shows. TV spoilers = okay. Book spoilers = I kill you.

2. YouTube
I'm tempted to put this as number one, but since this is purely entertainment/distraction, I guess it gets lowered a peg. Whether it's watching a line of related videos for 3 hours more than anticipated, or checking out my favorite channels (SSoHPKC, ApprenticeA, CardGamesFTW, ItsJustSomeRandomGuy, HISHEdotcom, and TheCreatureHub to name a few), YouTube never ceases to entertain.

1. deviantART
Another site all too easy to spend unaccounted hours at, deviantART is probably where I spend the most non-bookish time. Between reposting my reviews, browsing random art, managing the SmilingMoonCreations account, browsing more art, checking in on my groups, uploading photos, and browsing the latest art my favorite artists have posted, it's a busy busy site.

Honorable Mentions:
Pandora
Library's Site
Ctrl+Alt+Del
Various Manga sites
Facebook


Yeah, a lot of my sites revolve around movies, video games, and art.
Can you tell I like distractions?
Which sites are on your list? Let me hear you howl!

8 comments :

  1. Yes! I should have included The Colbert Report/The Daily Show on my list! I like to keep them up in the background when I'm working on a blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the name With Sprinkles. We had an ice cream party yesterday and I noted that most kids opted out of cherries but everyone went for sprinkles!

    Here's my
    Top Ten List of Sites that Aren't About Books.
    Please stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love DeviantArt so much! I'm a new follower. I love the design of you site, I'll be back that's for sure!

    My Top Ten!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Youtube and DeviantArt myself. May I also say that I like your site design. Love the banner/header where the wolf is reading.

    Nancy @ The Avid Reader
    New Follower
    Check out my My Top Ten

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list. Etsy is very addicting.
    Angela @ AJ Arndt Books Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. A+ for TGWTG! That's one of the few sites I check daily. Nostalgia Chick and Todd are the best! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd...haven't seen his videos yet... I'd say "to the internet!" but that seems a bit obvious/redundant ;)

      Delete
    2. Pop song reviews. Full of win.

      Delete

Let me hear you howl!