Thursday, May 16, 2019

Phase Two Has Begun

Genesis (Project Nemesis, #2)
~Genesis~
Project Nemesis
Book 2

By Brendan Reichs
Amazon ~ Powell's

Noah Livingston knows he is destined to survive.

The 64 members of Fire Lake's sophomore class are trapped in a place where morals have no meaning, and zero rules apply. But Noah's deaths have trained him--hardened him--to lead the strongest into the future . . . whatever that may be. And at any cost.

Min Wilder knows that survival alone isn't enough.

Trapped in a violent world where brute force passes for leadership, it's tempting to lay back and let everyone else fight it out. But Min's instincts rebel against allowing others to decide who lives and who dies. She's ready to fight for what she believes in. And against whomever might stand in her way.



I'm still not completely on board with these books, for reasons I addressed in the last review. I'm just not one for war for war's sake, or kids being dicks to each other for the hey of it. Nevertheless, I felt compelled to continue, if only to see if there WAS an endgame or if it was just supposed to be one big video game.

And on that front, I found myself agreeing wholeheartedly with Min, and I'm not sure why others didn't rally around her sooner. The geniuses in charge of this thing seemed dead set on mathematics, what was statistically better, instead of humanity itself. That point didn't really get hammered in until the last chapter or so, when the firefight was mostly over, but it was still nice to have it addressed eventually.

I'm not 100% on the love triangle here. Min having two love interests and her being oblivious to one was fine, but I couldn't understand how she kept feelings for Noah after being literally shot in the back. Then again a lot of the mental stuff was pretty messed up. Again, I don't exactly have firsthand accounts of people dying and coming back to love their killer, but it doesn't seem like something easily let go.

I did like that Tack and Noah didn't outright kill each other over their shared love interest, even though they definitely thought about it a lot. Can't wait to see how that resolves...

So yeah, I guess I'll finish it up. I'm curious more than excited, but the writing's good and I don't hate everyone, so that's something.

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!