Thursday, June 30, 2011

Book Blogger Hop (15)

Book Blogger Hop

From Sue at Cookie’s Book Club:
What keeps you reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf?

Hmmm... Well, first of all, I have to enjoy the narrative voice. If I'm not connecting to the character(s) or the story at all, I'd definitely be tempted to put it back. So, while I don't need the narrator or character to necessarily be exactly like myself, they at least have to have some similarities, or something inherently interesting that makes me want to read more about them.

Secondly, pacing is a big motivator. If it's been 50-or-so pages and nothing's happening, I'd probably be closer to falling asleep than excited to continue through that book. Of course, that partly depends on the type of book, but on the whole, I need something to have grabbed me by at least page 50 that makes me want to continue.

Thirdly, I have to be able to understand what's happening. Mostly, this means the language has to be at my level (which, I don't think is that hard to accomplish), and I shouldn't be confused by whatever's going on. If I get to chapter 3 and realize everything I thought I knew is wrong, I'm probably going to be frustrated enough to throw the book across the room.


Feel free to post a link to your own blog in the comments,
and be sure to check out other blog-hoppers at Crazy-for-Books!