Thursday, June 30, 2011

Book Blogger Hop (15)

Book Blogger Hop

From Sue at Cookie’s Book Club:
What keeps you reading beyond the first few pages of a book, and what makes you want to stop reading a book and put it back on the shelf?

Hmmm... Well, first of all, I have to enjoy the narrative voice. If I'm not connecting to the character(s) or the story at all, I'd definitely be tempted to put it back. So, while I don't need the narrator or character to necessarily be exactly like myself, they at least have to have some similarities, or something inherently interesting that makes me want to read more about them.

Secondly, pacing is a big motivator. If it's been 50-or-so pages and nothing's happening, I'd probably be closer to falling asleep than excited to continue through that book. Of course, that partly depends on the type of book, but on the whole, I need something to have grabbed me by at least page 50 that makes me want to continue.

Thirdly, I have to be able to understand what's happening. Mostly, this means the language has to be at my level (which, I don't think is that hard to accomplish), and I shouldn't be confused by whatever's going on. If I get to chapter 3 and realize everything I thought I knew is wrong, I'm probably going to be frustrated enough to throw the book across the room.


Feel free to post a link to your own blog in the comments,
and be sure to check out other blog-hoppers at Crazy-for-Books!

12 comments :

  1. The fifty page mark is the time I tend to decide whether or not I want to carry on too! Enjoy life. old follower.
    Nina @ Death Books and Tea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pacing! I forgot to mention that in my post. For the books that I'm stashing in rooms, I read in short bursts. To keep reading them I must be able to remember where I am even if I've only read a couple pages or haven't been able to read in days. Come see how I decide what to keep reading and what to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally forgot about the pacing of the story in my answer! But I'm so with you on the 50-page mark on whether or not to continue reading. :) Connecting with characters is a big thing, too, because why bother reading a story if you don't like who the story's about? Old follower here. :) Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on the pacing! I just read a 500-pg book where the love interest wasn't introduced until page 130. By that point, I was startign to doubt that the book was a romance! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 50-100 is my limit...you have a well-thought out answer...great job.

    NEW FOLLOWER...love your background.

    I have a giveaway for NIGHT TRAIN going on until July 25.

    PLEASE STOP BY IF YOU LIKE!!!

    Elizabeth

    http://silversolara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like when a book has too many characters. Or characters with similar names. It makes it hard to keep track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, I didn't even think of the first part. Yeah, that's right, I do have to connect with characters. I mentioned the second and third part in my answer but characters are really important.

    http://readitin7days.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great answer! I didn't think about pacing. But I agree with the confusion factor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there, Old Follower here (that phrase makes me feel old). I like your list of what keeps you reading. Pacing and I get the confusion thing, I will sometimes say "wha'?"
    <a href="http://fangswandsandfairydust.com”)> Fangs, Wands and Fairy Dust</a>
    @fangswandsfairy
    steph@fangswandsandfairydust.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hopping through. I think pacing is key for me. It doesn't have to be super-fast, but it at least needs to be steady.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
  11. The book needs to be clever to catch my attention, and the story needs to be involved to keep me reading. By involved, I mean that it needs to evoke some pretty decent empathy from me.
    Hello, Vicks! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I so agree. I hate when it takes half the book for the plot to start.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!