Monday, May 21, 2012

No Shortcuts

Ever since I joined Pottermore and was sorted into Hufflepuff, much to my initial surprise and disappointment, (I've since come to terms with my placement and embraced it) I've wanted to make a comic about it. I mean, what better premise than a girl who hates sunshine, plants, and yellow who is thrown into an environment filled with all three?

Unfortunately, I was not blessed with the artistic bug - at least not visually - and my sister, the artist of the family, is busy with her own projects, so mine fell by the wayside.

Until last week when I decided I'd give it a shot. Hence my absence...

I mapped out the first comic completely. So it was on the back of a library receipt, it didn't have to be perfect, right? Here's basically what the first panel looked like.


Then I took it to paper.


I figured I should be able to sketch out my comic then photograph/scan it in and do only minor tweaking. Thing is, I'm a little too much of a perfectionist and my 'minor tweaking' turned into completely re-tracing it. Which would be fine, if I had a tablet or something, but no, I just have a standard mouse.


So there I was, panel one completed, except for the text. It had only taken 8 hours.

Yeah, 8 hours.

UGH! At that rate, it was going to take forever. Might as well scrap it.

But then I thought, maybe I could streamline everything, just use the line and circle tools to cut out some of the steps. And then I'd be ahead of the next panel through the magic of copy/paste.

So I started over and came up with this.


Not very pretty. And the real kicker is that it took me just as long to do! And I'm still not happy with it.

Serves me right for looking for shortcuts and still expecting quality work.

Now I just have to decide if I'm still willing to put the effort in, or if I should scrap it and leave it scrapped. Why does XKCD make it look so easy?!

4 comments :

  1. It's because XKCD is a billion kinds of awesome, plain and simple.
    Good job, though. Definitely better than anything *I* could ever do. And cheer up! Everyone's initial reaction may be "What the heck is a Huffepuff?" but Huffepuff's are cool. Maybe not as great as Slytherins, but you're passable.
    I'm also very surprised you don't like yellow. The sorting is TOTES according to favorite color. I used to love blue, and be a Ravenclaw. I got sick of the color, my new favorite is green, and I'm currently in Merlin's house. =D

    Happy Pottermoring!

    ~Riv Re
    Riv Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's not just a dislike of yellow, but it looks horrible with my skin/hair/eye complexion. And between allergies and abhorring sunlight, living in a House that champions both would be near to torture. Then again, magic should take care of allergies, right? And Hufflepuff has a boss secondary color ^_^

      And don't all Houses claim to have had Merlin? Well, maybe not ours since we're humble like that ;)

      Delete
    2. Ah, but Slytherin doesn't need to claim it, it's cold fact. Merlin was ours!
      Also, I love the comics, they're well above anything I could even dream of doing with a tablet, let alone a mouse!

      Delete
    3. Stay tuned! I'll be posting the first completed one Monday ^_^

      Delete

Let me hear you howl!