Friday, September 4, 2020

I Have An In At Verona

Verona Comics
~Verona Comics~
By Jennifer Dugan

Amazon ~ Powell's

Jubilee has it all together. She's an elite cellist, and when she's not working in her stepmom's indie comic shop, she's prepping for the biggest audition of her life.

Ridley is barely holding it together. His parents own the biggest comic-store chain in the country, and Ridley can't stop disappointing them--that is, when they're even paying attention.

They meet one fateful night at a comic convention prom, and the two can't help falling for each other. Too bad their parents are at each other's throats every chance they get, making a relationship between them nearly impossible . . . unless they manage to keep it a secret.

Then again, the feud between their families may be the least of their problems. As Ridley's anxiety spirals, Jubilee tries to help but finds her focus torn between her fast-approaching audition and their intensifying relationship. What if love can't conquer all? What if each of them needs more than the other can give?



I got a 2-chapter preview at the end of the author's last book, Hot Dog Girl, and knew I had to get ahold of this one. Cosplay, conventions, music, comics, LGBT+ couples, social anxiety, split POV, and teen romance? Yes, please. Now, please.

If you couldn't tell by the title, this story plays off the classic, Romeo & Juliet, which was set in Verona, Italy. Once renowned as the romance to end all romances, it's come under more scrutiny recently as an unhealthy and extreme example of teen romance gone wrong. Verona Comics seems to take this angle and run with it, reexamining the couple through the lens of today equipped with modern knowledge of psychology.

I'll admit that I didn't give the last "remixed classic" I read, Pride by Ibi Zoboi, a favorable verdict. Maybe it's because I'm not as familiar with the original, or as much of a fan of it, or maybe it's because Romeo & Juliet has been redone enough times that I'm numb to the references to it, but I enjoyed this reworking much more than the last. It kept the broad strokes of the story—two kids from warring families, a chance meeting, falling in love despite the consequences, suffering from their secrecy, and a tragic outcome—without feeling like a beat for beat retelling. Ridley and Jubilee (just noticed the letters-in-common as I'm writing this - ha!) each had their own quirks, their own passions, and though their romance was inevitable for the story, it felt like it progressed naturally albeit slightly accelerated in typical teen fashion.

Though, perhaps I shouldn't say typical teen fashion, since these teens are very clearly dealing with abnormal circumstances. From Ridley's parental issues, suicide attempt, regular panic attacks, and non-functioning anxiety, to Jubilee's perfection-seeking, anxiety about her cello audition, and questioning her sexual orientation, these teens have a lot of issues at hand in addition to their star-crossed romance. Mental health is definitely at the forefront of this story—seeing how Ridley is one of the narrators and we get a front-row seat to multiple breakdowns—and I thought it was given a fair shake. I do wish the issue of co-dependence, which was brought up at the very end, had been given a little more focus, specifically in terms of treatment/support, but I was happy with what we did get.

For those wondering, both characters identify as bisexual (though after making out with someone nonbinary, Jubilee's thinking maybe pan- now), and are surrounded by multiple LGBT+ people and supporters. I know I gave my last read (Faith: Taking Flight) a hard time for lacking any conflict with its LGBT+ characters, ie. having no problems at school or in public, while here I didn't have a problem with it, but I have my reasons. Here, it seemed to fit the situation better: the characters were either at a convention, comicbook store, or with other LGBT+ characters, or were not obvious in their non-hetero-ness. And when there was a possibility of Jubilee's sexual orientation being made fun of she was quick to call it out, like she knew there were bigots and was preemptively protecting herself. There's also quite a bit of internal conflict concerning the labeling of her sexuality (is it okay to date a guy if you're bi?). So, yeah, while not strictly revolving around LGBT+ issues, the romance still acknowledged them enough that I wasn't questioning what world these characters existed in.

Ultimately, this was a great stand-alone romance, reminiscent of things we know, but with a fresh take on familiar tropes. If you're familiar with the original play the story's route may not be too surprising for you, but there are still a few twists here and there that makes it a new experience. And that ending! As far as "romantic action" is concerned, it's reserved to hand-holding, hugs, cuddling, and kissing, so I'd say a standard PG13 rating. After Hog Dog Girl, I was happy to put the author on my radar. Now, I'm craving her next release, and seeing if her comics are available nearby. Here's hoping I don't have to wait too long!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!