Saturday, November 27, 2021

Believe Me, I Do

SPOILER ALERT
This review is for those who have read or are familiar with the previous six books in the Shatter Me series, or don't mind knowing MAJOR spoilers for them.
SPOILER ALERT
Believe Me
~Believe Me~
Shatter Me
Book 6.5

By Tahereh Mafi
Amazon ~ Powell's

Juliette and Warner fought hard to take down the Reestablishment once and for all. Life in the aftermath isn’t easy, as they and their friends at the Sanctuary work with their limited resources to stabilize the world.

Warner has his sights set on more than just politics. Since he proposed to Juliette two weeks ago, he’s been eager to finally marry her, the person he loves more than anything and has endured so much to be with. But with so much chaos around them, it’s been nearly impossible for them to have a wedding. And even Juliette has been distracted by everything they need to do.

At long last, Warner and Juliette’s future together is within reach, but the world continues to try to pull them apart. Will they finally be able to be happily, officially, together?



We've finally, FINALLY come to this. The definitely-gonna-be-the-last-one FINAL book in the Shatter Me series (after 2 fake-outs already). And it's a novella (though, is 200+ pages still considered a novella?) in Warner's POV. Will we finally get the answers we crave? Will we get a satisfying ending? Or will we just get all the kissing we could ever hope for?

Now, I didn't do a full re-read of the series—heck I didn't even re-read Imagine Me, which I probably should have done— before diving into this one, so please forgive me if my memory has warped things slightly. I remember being very disappointed in Imagine Me's ending, mostly because Juliette was put in the position of needing rescued, and then there was very little wrap-up given after the climax. I honestly don't know if this novella was written in response to fan disappointment, or if it was planned all along, but it fulfilled all my hopes in all the best ways.

The first two chapters read very similarly to the epilogue from Imagine Me, with details I remember exactly from before, but I'm sure they must have been expanded somewhat. Then chapter 3 picks up exactly where we left off, filling in a bit more of the picture of life after the fall of the Reestablishment, specifically what's being done to pick up the pieces and enact change. We also get a bit more of the details of Warner and Juliette's new normal following her rescue.

I know I've been harping on a certain other series for its portrayal (or lack thereof) of trauma and therapy, and this is why. Being in Warner's head, we're privy to details of his intense anxiety, his memory of his trauma, and his inability (or unwillingness) to keep others feelings from leeching into his consciousness with his powers. He's clearly not okay, but his demeanor (and history) keep others from seeing him as more than a jerk. It's not until nearly the end of the story that we finally see someone (other than Juliette) take notice and make adjustments on his behalf, and it honestly made me tear up. It's not a huge thing, relative to the rest of the story, but I just couldn't help but love and appreciate that little bit of closure for Warner's benefit.

We also got more closure on the ending of the last book as a whole. I mean, Juliette was really, really beat up by the time they escaped the Oceana facility, but we merely skipped to "a few days later" where she's picking out a wedding dress and crying at being able to hold a puppy. Here we get the full context: that she nearly bled out on the plane, that she was hospitalized for fourteen days, unconscious for ten, and that Warner has been practically numb with fear and panic over having her out of his sight. While Juliette seems a bit uncharacteristically "fine" following everything, I was mostly distracted by Warner's inner turmoil to give it much thought. Now I'd kinda like another peek inside her head, since here she's mostly depicted as nearly perfect and loving and a shining beacon of hope.

But I don't see another sequel on the horizon. Like I said, I don't know if this novella was always planned, or if it was prompted by a loud request from fans or simply the 10-year anniversary of Shatter Me, but I think its safe to say the story is 100% over. We're done fighting the (Re)establishment, we're done recovering stolen memories, and we're done proving that love conquers all. All that's left now is to rebuild the world, establish a working government, and (hopefully) live long and happy lives with their loved ones. I mean, maybe we'll see another interlude with Kenji and Nazeera somewhere down the line, because writing happy couples is always fun, but I don't anticipate another major installment/trilogy hitting the series anytime soon.

Overall, this was a great ending that had me smiling and crying at equal intervals. There is a very steamy scene in the middle, which I was not expecting, but it's not explicit in anatomical descriptions, so I'd still say it's good for older YA. I can't say for sure that this completely redeems the last book for me, but it definitely had me feeling good, and thankful, and hopeful, and teary-eyed. And for anyone who was on the fence about another novella, this is definitely a must-read for everyone who already loves the series. Now, does anyone else wish for Mafi's next book's release date to come sooner? Cause believe me, I do!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!