Monday, May 8, 2023

Spring Update 2023

Hey all!

It's been nearly a year since my last post, but I'm back! At least, I think I'm back?

It took me a while to get back into the swing of things following my employment last year. While I had hoped to continue doing my audiobook reviews and finishing my series as planned, that just didn't pan out. Working two tech jobs for two separate churches, plus dedicating time to my family, just didn't allow for long spans of time locked in my room listening to books, let alone trying to spend more time organizing my thoughts into coherant reviews afterward.

So I scrapped the audiobooks and dove into manga. I had planned on writing a review of My Hero Academia's spinoff series, Vigilantes last fall, but my boss quit, leaving the rest of us to pick up the slack and try to bring about a new normal. It's been quite a process, and Advent season didn't make it any easier. And then after Advent came Easter and...well, we're still chugging along.

But back to the manga. Once I came up to speed with Vigilantes, I started One Piece. And any of you familiar with One Piece knows it's quite the undertaking. I started in October last year and just finished Volume 44 (end of Enies Lobby). Only another 60-or-so to go! In between waiting for those volumes to come in at the library, I picked up and started Ascendance of a Bookworm, not even realizing it was a light-novel series instead of a manga!

Now that I've had the chance to read 5 of those in and around work and family, I think I finally got this life/work/books balance down a bit better, so I'm thinking I might be able to review again! They probably won't be as detailed as some of my previous reviews, but I'll still try to focus on the main features I've been doing.

First up will be Belle Morte by Bella Higgin, a vampire book that caught my eye last month. And then maybe I'll try working up something for Vigilantes and Ascendance of a Bookworm and maybe even Stellarlune (though probably not without a reread).

Oh, and I just finished updating the Vampire Book Club grid and bookshelf, for any of you who may be interested. It's still been going strong, I just haven't been participating. And the library doesn't have this month's book, so that's another month down. Ah well, maybe next month?

Hope this brings everyone up to speed. I'll be trying to get the Belle Morte review up next week. Until then, all the best!

~ Vicki

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!