Monday, August 19, 2019

Word Collecting is a Snicker of Magic

A Snicker of Magic

Midnight Gulch used to be a magical place, a town where people could sing up thunderstorms and dance up sunflowers. But that was long ago, before a curse drove the magic away. Twelve-year-old Felicity knows all about things like that; her nomadic mother is cursed with a wandering heart.

But when she arrives in Midnight Gulch, Felicity thinks her luck's about to change. A "word collector," Felicity sees words everywhere---shining above strangers, tucked into church eves, and tangled up her dog's floppy ears---but Midnight Gulch is the first place she's ever seen the word "home." And then there's Jonah, a mysterious, spiky-haired do-gooder who shimmers with words Felicity's never seen before, words that make Felicity's heart beat a little faster.

Felicity wants to stay in Midnight Gulch more than anything, but first, she'll need to figure out how to bring back the magic, breaking the spell that's been cast over the town . . . and her mother's broken heart.



I didn't know much going into A Snicker of Magic. Honestly, I first picked it up as a Christmas gift because the cover was so cute. But, since I'd be loathe to give away a bad book, I decided I had to read it for myself. And I'm so glad I did.

I'm usually not much into 'middle grade' books these days - mainly because I don't enjoy that age group in general, plus if 'complex' concepts are explained I don't enjoy being written down to. But Snicker didn't have any of that. The main characters were sweet, shy, while still realistic, and any explaining done was about personal histories, so nothing was redundant. Even at 30, this was a joy to read, and I even teared up once or twice.

If I had to compare it to anything, I'd probably say Holes combined with Summer of the Monkeys or Where the Red Fern Grows. The later two are mostly on account of the characters' ages and the setting, while the first has a lot to do with the exploration of the past, and discovering curses set upon ancestors. It's hard to pin it down and call it fantasy. There is magic here and there, but that's not the main focus of the plot - when you get right down to it Snicker is a a story about remembering, hope, and love.

This is definitely one that I'd recommend to young readers, even those who aren't old enough to read it by themselves. It has wonderful messages about general kindness and family, its characters are relatable, and it has a magical setting ripe with inspiration. I'd also recommend it to anyone older looking for something light but still engaging. I know I'll be adding it to my gift-giving lists for the future, and I might even add a copy to my own shelves.

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!