Thursday, November 28, 2019

More Gods, More Chaos

The Chaos of Stars

Isadora's family is seriously screwed up.

Of course, when you're the human daughter of Egyptian gods, that comes with the territory.

Isadora's sick of living a life where she's only worthy of a passing glance, and when she's offered the chance to move thousands of miles away, she jumps on it. But as much as Isadora tries to keep her new world and old world apart, she quickly realizes there's no such thing as a clean break when it comes to family.



A nice decompress from the super serious books I've been reading. The Chaos of Stars centers around Isadora, the mortal daughter of Egyptian Gods with a bad case of existential nihilism (aka life doesn't matter because it isn't eternal). So she's got quite the chip on her shoulder when it comes to other things that don't last forever, like love. Not only was her issue believable and justified from her background, but her growth was equally so. You could say she's a 'typical snarky teen', and yeah I do have a soft spot for those characters, but she's also motivated, afraid, and confused, which makes her all the more real, despite her fantastical upbringing.

I loved the mythology of their world, and would love to have that expanded on. It felt like a combination of Percy Jackson and American Gods - where the Gods are totally real but only maintain power as long as they have followers, and they have kids (though it doesn't seem to give much in the ways of superpowers, unless you count prophetic dreams) trying to live lives out from under their parents' shadows. I especially liked the animosity that the Egyptian Gods had for others, especially the Greeks, since that's the majority of what I know (again, from Percy Jackson). It would be interesting to see more explored in that.

And I guess that's where I am on the whole. Isadora's story was nice, and it had a good arc and conclusion, but the world was so rich I can't imagine not wanting to come back. I'm pretty sure this will remain a standalone, but it definitely opens a lot of possibilities for the imaginative out there.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!