Monday, November 4, 2019

Maybe Love IS a Disease

SPOILER ALERT
These reviews are for those who have read or are familiar with the previous books, Delirium and Pandemonium, or don't mind knowing major spoilers for them.
SPOILER ALERT

Requiem
~Requiem~
Delirium
Book 3

By Lauren Oliver
Amazon ~ Powell's

Now an active member of the resistance, Lena has transformed. The nascent rebellion that was underway in Pandemonium has ignited into an all-out revolution in Requiem, and Lena is at the center of the fight. After rescuing Julian from a death sentence, Lena and her friends fled to the Wilds. But the Wilds are no longer a safe haven. Pockets of rebellion have opened throughout the country, and the government cannot deny the existence of Invalids. Regulators infiltrate the borderlands to stamp out the rebels.

As Lena navigates the increasingly dangerous terrain of the Wilds, her best friend, Hana, lives a safe, loveless life in Portland as the fiancée of the young mayor. Requiem is told from both Lena and Hana's points of view. They live side by side in a world that divides them until, at last, their stories converge.



I think this was a greatly satisfying end to this series. Most of the major events happened at the end, so I can't go into too much detail, however I just want to say a couple things I didn't understand.

I didn't understand the need for a love triangle. Considering who gets the most back story and narration, it's pretty obvious. And that Alex tried to choose FOR Lena was absolutely bogus. If she wanted choices made for her she would have stayed in zombieland. Real mature, guys.

I did appreciate hearing how things went for Hana after Lena's escape. Hearing not only how she did, but also how the government was progressing helped bring the world more into light. However, I ultimately didn't understand the reason for Lena's and Hana's split stories in this book. Why couldn't this be Hana's novella? The only thing that comes out of it, I felt, was an explanation for why Hana acted the way she did when they finally crossed paths without having a huge exposition dump then and there in the middle of the action. I didn't feel like Hana's character progressed, nor that her story's ending felt earned. So while her story intrigued me, it didn't feel much like it belonged with Lena's finale.

That being said, I really appreciated the end of Lena's journey. A lot of times, the ending of the last book in a series can feel like a let down. It might end too openly, or everything gets tied up abruptly, or there are deaths that sour everything. I didn't feel that way here. Sure, there was a death I did NOT agree with (especially after their novella), but on the whole the ending felt just. There was hope, but things weren't automatically peachy, there is still a lot of work to come, but the end isn't bogged down with details. It was nice.

While I probably won't return to this series, I am glad to have experienced Lena's world, her hopes, her ambition, and the journey she takes. If love is a disease, I think I'll take my chances.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!