Monday, October 28, 2019

Love, the Deadliest of All Deadly Things

SPOILER ALERT
This review is for those who have read or are familiar with the previous book, Delirium, or don't mind knowing major spoilers for it.
SPOILER ALERT

Pandemonium
~Pandemonium~
Delirium
Book 2

By Lauren Oliver
Amazon ~ Powell's

The old life is dead. But the old Lena is dead too. I buried her. I left her beyond a fence, behind a wall of smoke and flame. In this electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller Delirium, Lauren Oliver sets Lena on a dangerous course that hurtles through the unregulated Wilds and into the heart of a growing resistance movement. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.


It's been a while since I read the first book, but why leave a good series unfinished?

I'm not sure whether to keep marking these books as SciFi. Yes, there's the brain-altering procedure (lobotomy?) that supposedly removes the ability to love, but there don't seem to be any other scientific innovations. Electricity is regulated, genetics don't seem to have advanced, vehicles are fairly scarce, even weapons are still rudimentary guns and clubs.

I have to say, it is interesting seeing the parallels running in today's American culture, especially regarding the youth's (uncured's) call for change in the government. Sure, the rallies held were for stricter enforcement of government, but, especially in a society where adults are disallowed to feel passion, it's obvious that the youth have to be the main advocates for change to happen. They will be the ones who eventually take over, and it's their opinion that the governing powers and resistance both have to appeal to. (Also amusing [to me] to note that the government used bombs to take out non-compliant citizens/zones, especially in rural areas [a lot of good those armed militias did, huh?].) Okay, enough politics, back to the story at hand.

Pandemonium had sort of a Memento vibe to it, with each chapter switching between "now" and "then" storylines. I think it was mostly done well, with both timelines following the same general rise and fall in suspense and action. However, it did pull some of the tension away from the "then" storyline knowing at least some of the characters who had to live and where Lena would end up. Still, it was an interesting way to weave the narrative, and both stories held my attention well enough I didn't feel the need to skip forward.

So, I know these are teen romance novels - I mean, the main plot revolves around how love is illegal - so love is bound to be a main player in the storyline, but it bothers me that Lena seems to fall in love with every boy she spends 5 minutes with. Seriously, unless they are gay, already claimed, or out of her age range, she has fallen Romeo-&-Juliet-style in love with every boy she meets. I'm not saying she's not allowed to be happy, I'm not saying she didn't spend enough time grieving the loss of her first love, I'm not saying she is prone to perpetual love-at-first-sight, I'm just saying we haven't seen any evidence of her having a non-romantic relation with a guy who might be attracted to her. It doesn't exactly help their case for love not being a disease when the main character can't help falling for every guy she comes in contact with. Just 1 guy friend who could be a romantic interest but isn't? Maybe next book.

I could not stop cussing the last few pages. As soon as Raven started talking, I knew what was coming. I'm glaring at you, Lauren Oliver. Luckily I have the third book on hand so I'm not left with this cliffhanger. I guess I'll go see how this new drama pans out.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!