Thursday, October 10, 2019

All Vampires Have Red Hair

Red-Headed Stepchild
~Red-Headed Stepchild~
Sabina Kane
Book 1

By Jaye Wells
Amazon ~ Powell's

In a world where being of mixed-blood is a major liability, Sabina Kane has the only profession fit for an outcast: assassin. But, her latest mission threatens the fragile peace between the vampire and mage races and Sabina must scramble to figure out which side she's on. She's never brought her work home with her---until now.

This time, it's personal.



You know, I'd forgotten what it was like just to read something without analyzing it. I really didn't have to think about much of anything, just go with the flow. But then, kick-ass female protagonists in paranormal romance are kind of my fluff genre.

There really isn't much to analyze here, even if I wanted to. Sabina was very stereotypical, but that's what I like. The other characters filled most of the other tropes, though I can't for the life of me remember for sure what the romantic interest's name was. I got the villains, and the plucky best friend, but the hot guy? Okay, it doesn't help that it's Adam, which is one of the most blah names for guys. At least he has cool last name.

I guess if I had to find something to analyze (other than doing a whole feminist reading) you could read into the race relations. But even there, where some books would try to disprove stereotypes and have characters learn to get along despite their differences, there isn't really much to dig into. Sabina doesn't know much about the other races to begin with, and any stereotypes she might have heard about pretty much ring true with those she meets. And though she does make friends, to some extent, it's always because they're forced together, not because she ever has a choice in the matter.

So yeah, a quick, fun way to start a series. No sex yet, only mentions of getting wet/hot down south and a make-out session or two, but I'm sure it will pick up later. I'll definitely be continuing - just got to wait for my library to get them in - and I'm interested to see more of the magic and prophesy play out. And I'm so looking forward to seeing more of Mr. Giggles.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!