Thursday, October 17, 2019

Getting a Green Light from the Universe

SPOILER ALERT
This review is for those who have read or are familiar with the previous books, Red-Headed Stepchild & The Mage In Black, or don't mind knowing major spoilers for them.
SPOILER ALERT

Green-Eyed Demon
~Green-Eyed Demon~
Sabina Kane
Book 3

By Jaye Wells
Amazon ~ Powell's

Things to do:

1. Rescue sister.
2. Murder grandmother.
3. Don't upset the voodoo priestess.

The clock is ticking for Sabina Kane. Her sister has been kidnapped by her grandmother, the Dark Races are on the brink of war, and a mysterious order is manipulating everyone behind the scenes.

Working on information provided by an unlikely ally, Sabina and her trusty sidekicks--a sexy mage named Adam Lazarus and Giguhl, a Mischief demon--head to New Orleans to begin the hunt for her sister. Once there, they must contend with belligerent werewolves, magic-wielding vampires and - perhaps most frightening of all - humans.

But as much as Sabina is focused on surviving the present, the past won't be ignored. Before she can save those she cares about most, she must save herself from the ghosts of her past.



I had a feeling I'd get to add a LGBT tag to one of these, and I was finally right! Absolutely LOVED Brooks as soon as he came on page. While arguably not a main character, Brooks and Giguhl's interactions were gold, and with my own sibling in a similar situation, I'm happy to add the tag. It didn't feel tacked on at all, as Brooks did play a major part in the story, and his history was nicely fleshed out. Overall, I wish Brooks could continue in the series...

But back to the book at hand. I really liked the continuation of Sabina's self discovery, her coming to terms with her upbringing, her self-loathing, her trust issues, and her fear of commitment. After having Adam gone for the majority of the last book, it was nice to have the chance to get closer. And closer they got ;)

This was the first time humans factored into the story, and it was definitely interesting seeing the racism (mortalism) issue be brought up. I can't say a great case was made for humanity, at least on the worth/usefulness scale, but we did earn some points here and there, so it wasn't a total loss.

Maybe it's because it's been a little while since I read the first book, but I'm not 100% on how the Dark Races started, or how they propagate. Vampires are touched on again here, but I don't remember where werewolves and fae fall in, plus I have yet to see any happy vampire relationship, so I'm stumped as to how they could ever successfully reproduce. Not super important in the scheme of things, but I wouldn't complain about a run down in future books (or maybe a peek online).

Overall, this was another fun, fast read. It looks like I have a bit of a wait for the next books, but I'll definitely be returning for another round with Sabina & Co.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!