Friday, July 9, 2010

Book Blogger Hop (2)

Oi! What am I doing?!
Didn't I learn anything from the LAST time?!
Well, we'll see how it goes this time...
So here goes...
Book Blogger Hop
Tell us about some of your
Favorite Authors 

and
Why They Are Your Favorites!


Well, okay then.

~ Tamora Pierce ~
She introduced me to a world of strong, kick-butt heroines:
Alanna conquered my heart with her fiery passion
Daine won it with sheer magical awesomeness
Kel earned it with her determiniation
Sandry spun it a comfy nest
Tris showed it a soulmate
Daja won its admiration
and Alianne tricked it outright, but it loves her nonetheless.

~ Patricia Briggs ~
She was my introduction to Urban Fantasy (and werewolves) that rocked. After a horrible experience with Twilight, I was pretty desperate; surely someone had to know how vampires and werewolves were supposed to be! I got more than I bargained for when my dad got me Briggs' books. Not only was this paranormal society fantastically crafted, but it was presented through the eyes of another kick-butt heroine! And not only is the main character amazing, but practically every 'secondary' character is developed enough to lead a story! I have to admit, I'm a little tempted to go looking for a Ben of my own...

~ Diane Duane ~
Coming off of a Harry Potter buzz, and slightly forlorn at the diminishing prospect of receiving a letter from Hogwarts, Duane's Young Wizard series offered me a readily available alternative. Why wait for a silly piece of parchment to tell you there was magic when it's already so accessible in the world around us? Her world is not only whimsical and awe-inspiring, but calculated and real enough for those of us less open-minded. Needless to say, I don't feel at all foolish walking around with these 'kids' books.

~ Eoin Colfer ~
Having first found him through his Artemis Fowl series, I loved and laughed with his quirky characters. Then I found and bought his unrelated book, The Wish List, and found it surprisingly insightful and complex, with the main characters relatable and driving the plot. Finally, with his update to the Hitchhiker's series, I was once again taken by his characters to an extent even Adams hadn't managed. Colfer's books are driven by characters, pure and simple, and it's an amazing ride every time.

~ J.K. Rowling ~
I really don't have much to say about Rowling that hasn't already been said. She created a world that captured my imagination for the better part of 10 years. In the down-times between books I found fellow fans and made lifelong friends. These friends and I continued our adventures within her world long after the books were done. I thank her for her unending contribution to my life and the lives of so many others.

Feel free to post a link to your own blog in the comments,
and be sure to check out other blog-hoppers at Crazy-for-Books' blog!

In semi-related news, I'll be trying my hardest to read the last 4 Young Wizards books this weekend.
Continued reviews should be up shortly.

11 comments :

  1. This week I've decided that instead of doing another hop/Follow Friday that I'm going to follow up with some of those blogs I had discovered last week. So here I am!
    Great list of authors and I Tamora Pierce, Patricia Briggs and J.K. Rowling are high up on my list as well. The Artemis Fowl books I haven't yet read but I keep meaning too. Maybe I'll start on them this weekend.
    Have a great blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm visiting because of the blog hop. Great place!

    I'm a follower.

    I'll be hanging around awhile.

    VampAngel
    VampAngel's Dilemma: To Read or Not To Read It? That is The Question

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some interesting choices - A also love JK Rowling. My other two choices would have to be Philippa Gregory and Kathy Reichs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, fantastic choices! Eoin Colfer is another one of my favorites that I haven't been able to appreciate in a while (I lost the books a while ago). I hear he is coming out with a new book called the Atlantis Complex. It makes me wish I had kept up with the series. :(

    Oh! I'm *just* getting into Tamora Pierce. I'm reading book one of "The Circle of Magic". I'll let you know what I think of it when I'm done.

    I just checked out one of Patricia Briggs books, and I realized that this is just what I need to read before I start my novel. I've heard of Diane Duane before, and I think at least one of her books is on my TBR list, but I haven't got the gumption to read her yet. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have found your blog through this meme and am happy to be a new follower. I hope you have a wonderful weekend and I look forward to reading your future posts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just hopping on by! Interesting list of authors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you on the hop. I'm also from Oregon. yay! I'm now your newest follower :)

    Ariel
    http://mustlovelabradors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Returning the visit--I already follow. :-) SO glad you love Patricia Briggs! She was my first ever urban fantasy read, too, and I've been hooked ever since. I swear, if you love Briggs, you'll love Ilona Andrews.

    -Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh man, this heat is a killer. I'm content to sit in front of the fan all day and not move.

    Have you ever read anything by Kim Harrison? I read her books and then found Patricia Briggs through her. Both are really great authors.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe I forgot Eoin Colfer! He's such an amazing writer, and The Wish List was just stunning. Gah! And JK and Tamora Pierce <333

    Hope you have an awesome weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great author picks! Following from the hop. Thanks for visiting and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!