Monday, July 15, 2019

Firecracker, the Human Bomb

Firecracker
~Firecracker~
By Charles R. Verhey
Amazon

A team of eccentric psychics who assist local authorities with difficult cases has reluctantly hired Aideen Cassidy, a timid pyrokinetic who has managed to accidentally burn to rubble every building she’s ever worked in. “It takes some real power and talent to melt a slushy machine.” Now, after months of scraping by on the last of her savings and spending every day terrified of her own gifts, she’s being given the chance to prove her worth. To be accepted for who and what she is.

But there’s more happening behind the scenes than anyone realizes, and Aideen soon finds herself caught in a conspiracy of evil monsters and dangerous assassins that dates back over six hundred years.

All she wanted to do was fit in. Now the lives of her new friends depend on her talents for fiery destruction...



An interesting premise, but ultimately disappointing.

The characters were bland, more of plot devises than actual people. Cass was ok, I guess, but Li was just confusing. Who would openly flirt with someone they want to quit? There's being nice or polite, and then there's just filling in as the 'handsome mentor and love interest who originally dislikes you but learns to overcome their baggage' plot trope.

The whole story read like an anime to me. Very visual, random elements thrown in where it would seem cool, exposition dumps near the end. In fact it reminded me a lot of Witch-Hunter Robin, especially with that ending.

Though I marked it as stand-alone, it's obvious that the story needs continued. There is no ending, most likely expecting to be continued but not having been written yet. The epilogue is worthless towards the rest of the book, only setting up an unwritten sequel.

In fact, what was the point of Voss's story in the first place? I have literally no clue why any of that was relevant to the goings on with other characters, even with the phone calls. Ugh.

I got this book free from a kindle sale, so I'm not really out anything, but I can't say I'd recommend it with the obviously unfinished story. The writing wasn't bad, though there were some typos, but there were too many plot holes and contrivances for me to pass along recommendations.

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!