Thursday, July 11, 2019

Murdered on the First Day of Comic-Con

The Con Artist
~The Con Artist~
By Fred Van Lente
Amazon ~ Powell's

This illustrated mystery will appeal to comic book fans and anyone who appreciates an unconventional whodunit.

Comic book artist Mike Mason arrives at San Diego Comic-Con, seeking sanctuary with other fans and creators—and maybe to reunite with his ex—but when his rival is found murdered, he becomes the prime suspect. To clear his name, Mike will have to navigate every corner of the con, from zombie obstacle courses and cosplay flash mobs to intrusive fans and obsessive collectors, in the process unraveling a dark secret behind one of the industry’s most legendary creators.


I didn't know anything about this book before I saw it shared by it's publisher, Quirk, on their Facebook feed, but I picked it up at exactly the right time. Coming just off the heels of this year's Comic Con (no, I didn't attend - I'm not that nuts! Or wealthy) it was easy to smirk at the plethora of references to current 'announcements', events, and typical Con behavior.

I loved the narrator, Mike, for his snark and humor, but also for his more human moments. I think any artist or fan (of comics or other media) will be able to find something to relate to in Mike or his entourage. I will say, since he didn't refer to himself by name very often, it's only by chance that I can remember his name now, but that's not for lack of character.

The story felt like something I'd easily see on TV, like on Castle or Bones or something. It's very current, lighthearted when needed, but somber too. I don't know if the many references will date it too badly, since most of them were to huge franchises like Marvel, DC, etc. And there was a LOT of made-up stuff that sounded just plausible enough to be real - Prison Inmates vs Zombies - so it might hold up for years to come. And I hope it does.

The mystery was great. Like I said, very reminiscent of my favorite crime/comedies, in that the narrator doesn't reveal anything until they're good and ready. There's no moment of, "It was then I realized that the murderer had to be _____!" But I guess that's just good storytelling these days.

I won't say I'm disappointed in the ending, but it does feel like I could have done with one more scene. I want to know how everything ended - was it happy, bittersweet, or full-on tragic? But, then again, I guess the Con's over and that's part of another story.

(I was very distracted by the occasional insertions of a character named Ian Smallwood. I have never before seen my surname in a story, so him popping up from time to time gave me a bit of a jolt.)

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

View all my reviews

No comments :

Post a Comment

Let me hear you howl!