Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Character Names

Top Ten Tuesday
Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted at The Broke and the Bookish.

This week's theme asks for 10 names of characters we'd be willing to name our children after. Well, I personally don't ever plan on having kids, but if I did I don't think I'd mind calling out these names.

10. Remus
Harry Potter Series ~ J.K. Rowling
Remus Lupin AKA most awesome werewolf teacher ever. Thing is, with such a popular series, and popular character, everyone would know his parents were total fangirls nerds geeks bookworms. And no one wants that in their genes, no matter how much it may be true. Best if I keep my crazy fanatic tendencies to myself.

9. Cimorene
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles ~ Patricia C. Wrede
Okay, probably not the best choice for a kid's name. I mean, there's no good way to shorten it and good luck having anyone spell it correctly. Then again, Maureen is a 'normal' name, and giving a kid the nickname Simmer might be kinda fun... No, this one's probably best left in the books.

8. Seamus
Harry Potter Series ~ J.K. Rowling
I'm pretty sure I heard (and loved) this name before HP, but I can't think of where at the moment, so I'll just take the easy route. Thing is, I'm not Irish. At all. And as much as I love the accent and/or red hair, I don't anticipate marrying an Irishman. However, if I do, and if I have a son, this is definitely first choice!

7. Trisana
The Circle of Magic Quartet ~ Tamora Pierce
Absolutely love this character. She's a bookworm! However, the name Tris is a little out there, and I don't want any undue misspellings or WTF looks from teachers/other students... So this is another one that'll stay in the books.

6. Niko
The Circle of Magic Quartet ~ Tamora Pierce
Same series, similar problem. There's no way in hell I'm naming a kid Niklaren. Niko is pretty cute...but it's doubtful he'll appreciate having a cute name as a teenager. It's definitely a name for a specific personality type, so it's probably best not to print that on the birth certificate.

5. Lyra
His Dark Materials Trilogy ~ Philip Pullman
Now we're getting to the good stuff. Lyra is a realistic choice for me. Unfortunately, as much as I love the character, and love the name, for some reason I also associate it with whining. Too easy to stretch out the Y. Le sigh.

4. Artemis
Artemis Fowl Series ~ Eoin Colfer
This one would work for both a guy and a girl, but I'm going for a guy. Artemis has an old-world flair and a sense of sophistication to it. Perfect for a genius, wouldn't you say? Plus, I have absolutely nothing wrong with shortening it to Artie (Glee!).

3. Alanna
Song of the Lioness Quartet ~ Tamora Pierce
I was so stoked to find out that my first college roommate's name was Alanna. Unfortunately (for me) she hated the name, so went by Ally instead. Still, there's so much power and strength to this name, it's definitely a first choice if (by some fluke) a daughter of mine has red hair (or purple eyes!!!).

2. Jasper
Disney's 101 Dalmatians
Yes, I fell in love with the name Jasper WAY before Twilight. However, I do have to hand it to Meyer for giving him a complimentary ability. Even saying the name Jasper seems instantly soothing.
Ahem, anyway... Even as a baddie, Jasper still managed to exude charm and sophistication (being teamed with Horace helped a bit) (Plus he was played by Hugh Laurie in the live-action remake). So if I don't marry a Jasper (oh please, oh please!), I definitely wouldn't mind naming a kid that.

1. Tamora
Tamora Pierce
If you hadn't caught it by now, I'm a pretty big fan of Ms. Pierce. But even besides being a fan of the woman, I'm a fan the name. Tamora rolls off the tongue, even with its three syllables, and once again has that old-world feel to it. Even though Ms. Pierce prefers to go by Tammy with her friends, I'm much more in love with the full name.


Well, that's my list and I'm sticking to it.
Since I'm not planning on having kids anytime soon, I'll probably use these in my next rounds of pets.
I think these are all good cat names, don't you? Well, except maybe Remus *wink*.

So, what's your list?

8 comments :

  1. Yes, definitely safer to stick with cat names rather than people names! Me, too.

    I am crazy about names. I'm long past the day when I am in need of names for actual offspring, but I still loving thinking about names.

    Here's my post: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-characters-id-name-my-children.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lyra made my list, too. :) Jasper is a great name.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen other lists around and you picked out some really good different names. Most list are common names, but I like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful choices!! Great names from great books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fabulous! Remus, Seamus, and Lyra especially. Lyra is on my list too!
    http://featherednest-birdie.blogspot.com/2011/02/top-ten-tuesday-naming-your-children.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the name Remus a lot, but it makes me think of Uncle Remus.

    Reading Lark's Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oo Trisana is such a pretty name! I love your list -- I would totally be one of those parents who names their child after a Harry Potter character =)

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!