Thursday, February 17, 2011

Long Time No See

So, I turned on the TV today while I fixed and ate my breakfast. 
Not too exciting, I know. But wait for it...





Wait for it...







Wait for it......










BLAM!

A commercial comes on for James Patterson's newest Maximum Ride novel, Angel.


Now, though I have seen this series at bookstores, I haven't read any of it. I've never had any interest in reading it.

But now...

Perhaps I'm intrigued by the people running around with wings (which I had no clue of before). Perhaps I'm just easily swayed. But now I kinda want to read it...

Is this the power of TV? And if so, why aren't they using it more often!? I mean, the last commercial I saw for a book was...Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows back in 2007. Not that it really needed it, but I'm sure the commercial didn't hurt things.

So what do you think? Is TV a powerful weapon in book-selling? Would you be more interested in a book you saw on TV? Or is the whole thing a waste of time since bookish people don't watch TV anyway?

1 comment :

  1. It's really rare to see tv ads for books, in Australia anyway not sure about the rest of the world. However there was one recently for Blood Born by Kathryn Fox that ran frequently, and it got me interested enough to borrow it from the library.
    Bookstores seem to only advertise around gift giving holidays like Mothers/Fathers Day and Christmas - mainly they seem to rely on brochures but we only have one bookstore in our town anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Let me hear you howl!